What is TERRGO?
- a new dataset on territorial self-governance in democracies, semi-democracies, and autocracies
- including more than 2,200 second-level regions in 96 countries
- containing over 39,000 region-year assessments
- enhancing our grasp on the empirical complexity of state structures
Journal Article (Manuscript version)
Codebook (TERRGO_C and TERRGO_U)
The authors are grateful for any comments and suggestions regarding the data, e.g. errors, ambiguities or other possibilities for improvement the dataset (last update: 25.09.2020).
…takes a fresh look at territorial self-governance in more than 2,900 second-level regions in 96 Western and non-Western democracies, semi-democracies and autocracies
- …provides information on each generic category of self-governance units (TERRGO_C)
- …makes available data for each individual unit (TERRGO_U)
…builds on a parsimonious conceptualization of territorial self-governance
- …reduces the terminological confusion in the field
- …is easily applicable and falsifiable
- …carves out ‚differences in kind‘
…allows to untangle country-specific profiles
While some countries represent a TERRGO type in its pure form..
…others show more complex configurations
…or have changed their face over time